Saturday, November 19, 2005

Kayak



I got involved in kayaking 3 days before puasa in 2003. I was bored and a very long holiday was coming and I decided to find something for me to do during the holidays. I actually called up Kementerian Belia dan Sukan in Kuching, asking them whether they have any camping or kayaking activity. Well, like they said, the rest is history. Now, I've been involved inthis for 2 years now. I love outdoor activities and although I can't swim (which is a weird thing for some), I am never afraid of being in the water. There's always the life jacket to save me. I was even involved in the kayaking competition in Putrajaya last year and being a 27 year old who just had less than a year's training, believe me, it is not easy. It was fun though because in Putrajaya we get to experience using the kayak they use in the Olympics and although I was not competing in an international game (or never would be), I felt proud of myself because at that age where people say already "old" I was still able to do it.

Last year I actually introduced this interesting sport to my students because I want them to enjoy kayaking as much as I am. They are already used to the usual sports like football, badmminton and such, and I find this is a really unique sport for them to try out. Interestingly, most of the students who haev never been seen playing volleyball, badminton or any other sports were really interested in kayaking and they can actually be trained to compete. Talking about discovering the potential in oneself. I would say, if I ever leave the college where I am teaching now, I have already made my mark and this kayak legacy would always be mine. I have a passion for this and I would really love to see it growing in Kuching and in Sarawak. We have the river, but we don't have the facilities. But next year, I am planning for something bigger. Hope I will achieve before the next Sarawak Regatta.

8 comments:

Francis Ho said...

Count me in on your next adventure!

You are like a fellow kayaker friend of mine who also does not know how 2 swim. After much naggings from us, he finally learned how 2 swim as we were threatening 2 exclude him from future trips!

Kayaking should be more popular here with the abundance of rivers in Sarawak but sadly this is not so.

9lives said...

Well..how come I've never seen you around eh? We usually start from Kg. No 6. Planning to do an expedition next year. Will inform you surely :)

Francis Ho said...

The Sarawak River is my 'river of last resort' - I only paddle there when the other rivers/waters are not convenient. The other places are far more interesting/challenging.
I have seen some of the kayakers training for races on Sg Sarawak.

U never see me? Well, same goes here as I never see anyone on the waters almost all the time!!

9lives said...

Currently, I am not training with the others. When we do train, it's always around 5.30 til 6.45 or 7pm. On weekends it would be earlier or never..hehe..

Anyway, I am always looking forward for a new adventure though.

Robin CHAN said...

Yes, strange, the world is so small and Kuching is so BIG!

9lives said...

Hehe..yeah Robin. The river made it seem so BIG I guess. Thanks to the World Wide Web who seems to have made it small again ;)

HappySurfer said...

9lives, good that there's another kayaker (sorry, can't find another word for people who talk, sleep, walk, dream, drink, etc-etc about kayaking) to keep fh2o busy. Nice blog.

Yea, Robin, Kuching is so BIG! :0

Pandabonium said...

Another kayaker is always welcome. I kayaked a lot when I lived in Hawaii and while on my vacations in Fiji.

I love the sport.